Sunday, April 11, 2010

Take Over

Yet again, I struggled today with my control issues.  When am I going to figure this one out?  I really do want to let God control my life; but, tragically, my own control gets in the way.  As much as I know I need Him, I can't seem to give up the control.
Psalm 31:14-16 (NIV)   But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, "You are my God."  My times are in your hands; deliver me from my enemies and from those who pursue me.  Let your face shine on your servant; save me in your unfailing love
Today, I found God in a very humbling way. I was at a lunch meeting for an upcoming mission trip and I had brought a salad with homemade dressing (that is scrumptious, if I do say so myself!). To make a long story short, there was a mix up and my dressing couldn't be used. A silly mistake left me frustrated and in tears as I stood in the kitchen.

Was I seriously crying over salad dressing?  No, I was crying because I was not in control. I wasn't in control of the misunderstanding and I couldn't use my control to magically conjure up more dressing . . . I even lost control of my own emotions as I cried over the sink.

I went on to let that one instance determine my mood the rest of the afternoon. I could barely hold it together as every little frustration tore me up inside. After my tears spilled over once again, a friend sat down to talk with me about it. She reminded me that Satan loves to tear us down through our weaknesses. Satan knew that this tiny instance would ruin my day and he took advantage of that. But, as always, God was there to pick up the pieces.

On the drive home, I heard the song Take Over on the radio and it was just what I needed.  The lyrics matched my heart perfectly.  It was God's way of reaching out to me right where I had fallen.  The song picked me up and it became my honest and heartfelt prayer for today.
Take Over by Aaron Shust    I tried to run, I tried to fight You.  I'm done.  I'm giving up.  I've learned to trust You, Your love.  Now I'm singing: can You take over?  Take over. Can You take over me?  I've been here over and over again, here on my knees.  I'm only closer and closer to where I want to be when You take over.  Take over.  Can You take over me?  I tried before to let go and I just hold on more.  Amazing Lord, I need the strength to let go and be Yours.  So, now I'm singing: can You take over?  Take over.  Can You take over me?  I've been here over and over again, here on my knees.  I'm only closer and closer to where I want to be when You take over.  Take over.  Can You take over me?  I surrender all I have and I surrender all I am as I remember what You've done to set me free.
Let God pick you up today.  Even though you might feel like you have fallen too far from His reach.  Just give it all up.  Give up the worries, the stress, the control - give it all to Him.  He will take over everything, especially the things you have failed at.  Let Him pick you up and He promises to save you with His love. 

2 comments:

  1. Kiersten,
    thanks for being real and sharing. It takes real courage to allow a weakness to be revealed, but God always seems to show HIMSELF stong. Lives are changed when others can see the hand of God prevail in our weaknesses !!!!
    thank you again for being you and Praise God for his love and power...
    We love you and appreciate you
    keep sharing... it make a difference in this world
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the words of encouragement! It's hard for me to admit to myself that I struggle with something; so, it is only through Him that I have the bravery to post my struggles here for everyone to read!

    ReplyDelete