Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Better than a Hallelujah

I couldn't wait another minute to make this post.  This entry came to me tonight as I was sitting in my car waiting to meet up with my mother.  A brand new song by Amy Grant came on the radio and stopped me in my tracks.  It has been so long since I have listened to one of her songs (I believe the last time was on one of my mom's cassette tapes!) and I almost changed the radio channel; but, God began speaking to me.

John 4:23 (NIV)   A time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.
God has truly been reaching out to me through this verse recently and tonight, He gave me the song to pair with it.  Despite what many are taught, God doesn't want our good deeds, He doesn't want our attendance at church, He doesn't want our empty prayers or our Christian words - He wants our worship!  True worship is not just singing songs or reading His word or going to church; true worship comes when you reach out to God in every part of your life.  Praise Him through your words, praise Him in how you treat others, and praise Him by obeying Him.  God doesn't just want to meet with you on Sunday mornings; He wants to be in your life each day!   
 
 God wants to be in a relationship with you.  If you're upset or angry or frustrated, tell Him about it.  He wants your honest prayer.  It's simple to start, talk to Him, tell Him how you're feeling and, like a true friend, He will listen and help bring you through it.  Get into His word, be strong in your prayers and God will speak to you.  He might not tell you to do what is easy, He might not tell you what you want to hear; but, He will tell you what is right and what is true.  I know that He will be honest and unwavering ... just reach out and let Him. 
Better than a Hallelujah by Amy Grant    God loves a lullaby in a mother's tears in the dead of night better than a Hallelujah sometimes.  God loves the drunkard's cry, the soldier's plea not to let him die better than a Hallelujah sometimes.  We pour out our miseries, God just hears a melody.  Beautiful the mess we are, the honest cries of breaking hearts are better than a Hallelujah.  The woman holding on for life, the dying man giving up the fight are better than a Hallelujah sometimes.  The tears of shame for what's been done, the silence when the words won't come are better than a Hallelujah sometimes.  Better than a church bell ringing, better than a choir singing out.
I realize that this site is dedicated to singing songs and praises and hallelujahs to God; but, these songs should just be an extension of our daily worship of Him.  Don't just sing words to Him, sing the honest praises that are on your heart. 

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to let you know I found this blog very helpful! I was searching for people's interpretations for this song, and I think you hit the nail on the head! Keep up the good work!

    Twinkle

    ReplyDelete