Thursday, March 25, 2010

Desert Song

A friend of mine recently recommended this song to me and I haven't stopped humming it since.  Similar to the hardships I spoke of in my posting Stand in the Rain, this verse and song talk about how the struggles we face are meant to strengthen us.

I Peter 1:3-7 (NIV)  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade—kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.
The visual picture in my mind from this verse is that of a refiner purifying gold over a burning flame.  The refiner in this picture is God and we are the gold: imperfect and flawed.  In order for God to truly strengthen us and purify our hearts for Him, He needs to put us through flames of trials.  The trials are hot, uncomfortable, and difficult; however, they are not more than we can withstand. 

Whatever struggles you are facing in your life, remember that God is with you through them.  Know that He may be using these struggles to strengthen your faith, show you glimpses of His mercy, or purify your life of imperfections that are weighing you down. 

These struggles are not things we look forward to; but, we need to have faith that God is allowing us to go through these trials with the purpose of strengthening us!  Just as gold is purified by fire - we are strengthened and purified by the trials that heat our lives.
Desert Song by Hillsong United   This is my prayer in the desert when all that's within me feels dry.  This is my prayer in my hunger and need.  My God is the God who provides.  This is my prayer in the fire and weakness or trial or pain.  There is a faith proved of more worth than gold.  So refine me, Lord, through the flame.  I will bring praise, I will bring praise.  No weapon forged against me shall remain.  I will rejoice, I will declare God is my victory and He is here.  This is my prayer in the battle when triumph is still on its way.  I am a conqueror and co-heir with Christ.  So firm on His promise I stand.  All of my life, in every season, You are still God.  I have a reason to sing; I have a reason to worship.  This is my prayer in the harvest when favor and providence flow.  I know I'm filled to be empty again.  The seed I've received, I will sow. 
No matter what you are going through, God is right there.  He is with you through life's storms and battles.  And He will still be standing with you when the storms and battles are over.  He is with you through it all.  

2 comments: